Monday, December 15, 2014

Summer Snow Queen Mixed Media Canvas

Hi Bloom Friends! It's Lisa with you this fine Monday and I am so thrilled to bring you my project today. I've had a color scheme in my head for quite a while and I've really been wanting to use it on the Summer Bloom Girl Stamp, which is a little ironic....seeing as it's Winter. :)




I knew Summer NEEDED to be a Snow Queen. She NEEDED to be dressed in elegant whites and golds. Her eye is a dazzling glass glitter. Her hair is touched with gorgeous Gold Leaf Mica Flakes. This canvas is texture, glittering golds, shimmering metallics and I wish I could hug it. (Yes, I'm crazy like that.)

There are a few steps involved but here we go!
1. Using a sticky back canvas, prime the canvas using Clear Gesso, so the colors of the watercolors don't alter. Allow to dry.

2. Adhere random pieces of white pieces of tissue paper on top of the sticky back canvas (just enough to cover an are where the stamp will go). Coat will Gel Medium. Go for texture! Allow to dry.

3. Stamp Summer using Distress Paints. These are a water based acrylic paint that are VERY water soluble. Spritz the bottom areas of her hair with water, if desired. Mix different areas prior to stamping for different tones to the paint. (I used Walnut Stain, Vintage Photo, Tarnished Brass, & Frayed Burlap.) Heat Set.

4. Once dry use watercolor pencils to create shading. I used TWO watercolor pencils for the shading and one for her pupil. That's it! Oh and this is when I did her iris with the glass glitter, too.

5.  After all the shading is done to your satisfaction is when you get to go crazy adding your flowers. This is entirely up to you. The size, the colors, the amount, etc. Since I was going for a white/gold theme that's what I did here.

6. Then start building your background. I used old packaging. I tore some cardboard off of a box then ripped the top layer of paper from it here and there and coated it with white gesso. I also added in some Mica Flakes in Frosted and a tiny sprinkling more of Glass Glitter in Gold Rush.

7. Using the Color Bloom Spray in Gold Foil and the 12 x 12" Bubbles Stencil I gave a 9 x 12" canvas a light coating with the spray. Just enough to have some of the pretty gold shine through. I highlighted some of the circles (or "bubbles") with a gold watercolor pencil and also with a Gold Pan Pastel for extra shine.

8. Prior to adhering everything together I wrapped some Prima Trim around the corrugated cardboard piece and then adhered that to the canvas. Then I attached a small strip of glitter trim to the bottom of the corrugated cardboard and across the trim. Finally, removing the backing and adhering the Snow Queen!

Here are some alternate views:



This photo shows her flowers a little bit better, I think.



It was a little hard for me to take the photos without them looking grey, White is just so hard to photograph!!  But, I just love how this turned out and I hope you'll make your own "Snow Queen" Bloom Girl.

Products Used:
Prima:
Prima Bloom Girl Stamp (Jamie Dougherty Designs):  Summer
Color Bloom Sprays:  Summer Sky, Vintage Metal – Gold Foil
Mica Flakes: Frosted, Gold Leaf
Prima Stencil: 12 x 12” Bubbles
Prima Flowers:
Prima Medley Treasure
Prima Jubilee Christmas Collection 
London Collection – Majesty
Interlude A
Frost Mini Sachet
Prima Trim
Art Basics Soft Matte Gel
Art Basics Gesso, Clear

Other:
Ranger Sticky Backed Canvas
Blick 9 x 12” Canvas Art Panel
Pan Pastel Gold
Ranger Distress Paints: Walnut Stain, Tarnished Brass, Frayed Burlap, Vintage Photo
White Tissue Paper
Faber –Castell Design Memory Craft® Art GRIP® Aquarelle Watercolor Pencils






4 comments:

  1. What a stunningly beautiful take on this stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stunning, my friend! Need to get my stamp out of the package...ugh....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omgosh, this is just GORGEOUS! Wow! Wow! Wow!

    ReplyDelete